2008年3月13日 星期四

Timing matters!

So there is another whole-day meeting scheduled for tomorrow, and my manager instructs her secretary to buy lunch for everyone attending the meeting.

"I will have 2 pork burgers and 1 egg sandwich please" I said. (those pork burgers are actually snack size, therefore a sandwich to buffer my mighty stomach......hm......ok fine, I eat a lot).

"hm...", the secretary paused for a couple seconds and said "when are you going to eat that sandwich?"

Weird that she asked, I thought, "dunno, maybe after I finish the burgers, maybe a bit later in the afternoon if I get hungry..."

"ok, then you pay later, ok?" She responded.

erh....so what exactly was she saying? I wonder. Why would I have to pay? Meeting lunches are always expensed by the company. She was joking right?

So the meeting took place and I got my two burgers and a sandwich, just as I ordered. However, the day after, the secretary came into my office and showed me a bill of $18 for the sandwich.

Damn! She was serious! Since I told her I may not eat the sandwich at the same time with the burgers, then technically, the sandwich is not part of lunch, so it should be expensed out of my own pocket.

Wow, I mean, god, I am speechless!